Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC)

Applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC) can be submitted as of January 2, 2013 by foreign nationals who are workers in an eligible skilled trade occupation.

These applications are assessed on a pass/fail basis against these four requirements.

All applicants must:

  • have the required level of proficiency in English or French;
  • have at least two years of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, in a skilled trade occupation within the last five years, after becoming qualified to independently practice that occupation;
  • meet the relevant employment requirements for their skilled trade occupation as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for the requirement to obtain a certificate of qualification issued by a competent provincial authority; and
  • have an offer of employment for continuous full-time work for a total period of at least one year in that skilled trade occupation OR hold a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from a Canadian provincial or territorial apprenticeship authority.

If an applicant does not meet all of the requirements described above, he/she should not apply under FSTC. It is also important to check the CIC website regularly for changes to eligibility criteria.

Skilled Trade Occupation
For the purposes of the FSTC, an eligible skilled trade occupation means an occupation in one of the following categories belonging to Skill Level B of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  • Major Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  • Major Group 82 – supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
  • Major Group 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;

If it is uncertain whether a specific occupations falls under one of the above NOC Codes or if there are concerns about any of the other eligibility criteria, advice of an immigration lawyer is strongly recommended before applying.